Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

The joys

I made it to New Zealand!  Finally!  I’m really here!  It’s amazing.  I’ve been thinking about this place and dreaming about it for a year now and I’m here.  It’s nice.  I was trying to think of what it reminds me of and it kind of reminds me of everywhere I’ve been.  Some Canadians we met in Hawaii said Auckland was kind of like Vancouver.  I would agree with that.  It also reminds me of San Francisco, Seattle, Johannesburg, and Cape Town.  

Then when I got to the hostel the computers were down so I couldn’t check in.  I went to get some lunch at a Subway and the girl sitting next to me gave me a cookie.  I thought that was a good beginning.

When I came back to the hotel to check in everything was fine until a man used a key and walked in to my room.  I freaked out.  I had assumed that I would share my room with other women, but no.  This was a co-ed accommodation!  The front desk let me move to a women only wing when I gave them $3 per night.  I feel so much more comfortable.  The new room smells better and is neater.  It’s also bigger!

I walked around Auckland in the afternoon even though all I felt like doing was taking a nap.  (I think I might be coming down with a cold.) I forced myself out and decided Albert Park would be a good start.  It is only two blocks from my hostel and it is located next to the University of Auckland.  There is a statue of Queen Victoria there and you can see the Sky Tower from there as well.  

I went to the University Clock Tower which has beautiful Art Deco architecture.  I also visited the Old Government House where the government was located before Wellington became the capital of New Zealand.  The rose garden next door to the Old Government House was stunning in the late afternoon sun.

I stopped at a convenience store on my way back to the hostel and picked up a Magnum bar.  I don’t know why they don’t sell these in the US.  They are the best ice cream bars in the world.  Whenever I travel oversees I seek them out.  I first tried them in South Africa and then discovered they had them in France too.  I even remember eating one in  Prague.  They are the very best.  I enjoyed my first one in New Zealand on a bench by the harbour.  

1 comment:

  1. My friends and I had the same experience of being shocked by a co-ed hostel when we were in Barcelona. It was even more frightening when at about 1am my friend was woken up by an Italian man standing over her and she kept trying to speak both English and Spanish to him but he had no idea what she was saying. Finally I figured out he was looking for his towel which had been draped over our beds when we got into the room. Weird night. We switched to a 4 person private room the next day.

    ReplyDelete