Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

More Wellington and the trip back to Auckland

June 6, 2011
On Sunday morning I went to the Baptist Church after having breakfast with Matthias.  Then I came back to the hostel and had to go through the process of doing laundry!  Ugh!  I hate doing laundry on a wet rainy day!  I just wanted to be in the museum.  But it was probably good for me to just relax while the drier ran for an hour.  Sometimes you need to slow down even if you don’t want to!
I had just finished my laundry when Mike came back to the hostel and he and I walked to the museum together and met up with Matthias again.  I started in the Pacific Islanders section with the guys, but they quickly outpaced me.  Then I finally did the immigration section.  But honestly, I was almost as tired as I had been the day before when we finished the museum.  So I started just watching the video displays and reading a little less.
I had just made it to the third floor when Matthias texted me that they were finished and were going to go grocery shopping for dinner.  They told me to stay until closing and they would get everything sorted for dinner.  I barely scratched the surface of the third floor, which is on the land of New Zealand, when the museum closed.  I walked back to the hostel in the rain.
We had pork curry for dinner.  We sat around and talked and another guy from my old room joined us.  We decided to go out for drinks because it was Nathalie’s last night in New Zealand.  We went to the only Welsh bar in the Southern Hemisphere.  It was great to hang out with these people.  After drinks we went to McDonald’s for ice cream.
When we finally made it back to the hostel it was about 1 am, but we still stood around talking and saying goodbye to Nathalie.  Unfortunately, Mike, Matthias, and I had to get up at about 6 am to catch our bus by 6:50 am.  Our bus was completely full, but I got the front seat by the driver.  Well, until another girl got car sick and needed the front seat.  Which was OK because her seat was by Mike and Matthias and Fiona, who I traveled with earlier to Stewart Island.  We had some good conversation and some good naps too!
Matthias got off the bus in National Park because he wants to do the Tongariro Crossing before leaving New Zealand.  Mike and I carried on and I got my front seat back again.  The North Island is stunning, but in a different way.  At one point I was admiring the big, puffy clouds and I realized they were so amazing because it was the first time I had seen so much sky in a long time!  I’ve been living so close to the mountains that the sky was smaller!
We finally made it into Auckland.  I felt shattered.  I was going on little sleep, plus a long journey in a car, plus saying goodbye to Matthias, and I was just buggered!  I took a long, hot shower, which kind of helped.  
I have a whole day in Auckland tomorrow.  I think I will probably spend it just getting ready for the rest of my time in New Zealand.  I have some fiddly-bits and big plans to take care of!  Please continue to pray for me because I’m getting exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment