Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fiji

This morning I returned from a week-long trip to Fiji.  Well, I got into Auckland just after midnight and didn't get to sleep until 2 am.  It's funny that you can go on a long, relaxing vacation and still return home tired.  How does that happen?

I did an island hopping trip to the Yasawa Islands in Fiji.  I took a boat out to the northern islands to a resort called Nabua Lodge.  A littlier boat zoomed up to the side of our big boat and we loaded onto it.  Our luggage went into another boat.  This was the protocol at all the resorts I stayed.  The staff introduced themselves and then we motored over to the beach and stepped into the warm, clear water and onto the beach. 

At each place I stayed all my accommodation and meals were paid for.  These places were all remote.  Many ran on generators and didn't have clean drinking water.  Despite that they had beauty and beautiful beaches.  Some were more impressive and had pools and internet.  Every night after dinner the resorts put on Fiji dance shows.  I spent so much time just laying in the sun on the beach or in a hammock in the shade.  Despite this I felt like my mind could never stop running.  I was always thinking. 

But in a way it was a great vacation.  It felt like a Lake Chelan vacation: the kind where you wake up in the morning and just put your bathing suit on! 

I met some really nice people and I just enjoyed being really warm!  The last night in Nadi, the main city with the airport, I got terribly sick though.  I threw up several times and just felt horrible.  I had one last sailing trip planned for the last day before my flight, but I didn't end up getting to do it because I felt so sick.  Needless to say, while I had a wonderful time in Fiji, I'm glad it's over.  Glad to be back in my second home, New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment