Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The great metropolis of Te Anau!

25 March 2011
Another day off today.  I worked three days at the hotel and now I’m on day two of my two days off.  Yesterday was sunny and warm.  I actually went on a run! Which I haven’t done in months.  I spent the afternoon by the lake.  I watched the sea plane take off and land.  I watched a helicopter come in for a landing right on a dock over the lake.  I saw people swim, dive, jetski, waterski, and tube on the lake.  I watched the tour boats come and go and other speed boats cruise around the lake.  I also spent a good amount of time snoozing in the sun, reading, and eating!  It was marvelous!
Today I slept in and came to the library where I’ve found free internet.  I’m going to do boring things today like laundry, pay bills, and such.  
On my way to the library I watched an informal parade of old cars from the 50s and 60s drive through town, honk their horns, and wave American flags.  I asked someone what was going on.  She said it’s called Americana and these folks drive their cars all over New Zealand.  It was pretty entertaining to watch the cars.  Everyone stopped what they were doing to gawk at the cars roll by.  I love that Te Anau is the kind of town where things happen!  Even as small as this.  Today and tomorrow Te Anau is also hosting a rodeo and a ballet performance!  Already this town seems more real than Fox Glacier!

No comments:

Post a Comment