Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Day

17 March 2011
I took the TSS Earnslaw, a steamship, to the Walter Peak Farm today.  It was pretty touristy, but I still loved it!  The steamship has run on Lake Wakatipu since 1912.  On the way to the farm I met a missionary couple from Anchorage.  They are missionaries in Samoa and are here on Spring Break.
At the farm the guide demonstrated how the collie dog herds the sheep.  I was amazed at the way the sheep respond just from the eye contact of a dog.  The sheep behave in a very mechanical, predictable way.  Time after time the dog was able to round them up.  In “real life” one collied dog could round up hundreds of sheep!
Then we watched as the demonstrator sheared a sheep.  As long as the demonstrator kept control of the sheep’s head, he had control of the sheep.  It was like watching someone get their teeth worked on at the dentist.  You can tell the sheep doesn’t want to be going through this, but that she will feel better after it’s all done!
Then to my surprise they served us morning tea with tea, coffee, and snacks.  We learned a lot about the original family that farmed there and the houses they built.  The girl serving us tea actually worked at Vail one season as a ski instructor so she and I shared memories.  
We also had a tour where we met some red deer, merino sheep, alpacas, and Scottish Highland Cattle.  I loved the cattle.  They are so beautiful with their red fur.  These cattle were like huge, gentle giants.  We also had a wool spinning demonstration.  I never knew that lanolin came from sheep!  I learned a lot during the tour.  And the grounds were just magnificent.  Such a beautiful location with lovely gardens.  
On sailing (or steaming!) back to Queenstown I had a call from the manager of the hotel in Te Anau.  He told me he’s had a change in plans and that instead of working in housekeeping and the restaurant he’d like me to do reception.  I’m pretty excited about that as I enjoy reception the most.  
Back in Queenstown I stopped in at the thrift store (or op shop as they call them here) to see about the church I’d researched online.  The pastor of the church was there and she invited me to have tea.  So she and I sat down and talked.  Another lady from Japan who attends the church joined us.  I visited with them for a long time and the pastor gave me the name of some Christians she knows in Te Anau to connect with.
This afternoon I met up with a bunch of people from my Stray bus. We went to the lake and sat around and talked.  A lot of people were already drinking because it’s St. Paddy’s Day.  It’s a beautiful spot with views of the mountains and the lake.  I bought some delicious gelato ice cream and one of the girls painted a clover on my cheek.  Finally we went to an Irish pub where I ordered my once-a-year Guinness, which I only drank about half of.  We went out on the upper balcony and just hung out.  Of course it was crazy loud and packed, but I had a good time. Although I don’t think any St. Patrick’s Day will beat the one I spent in Paris a few years ago when one of my friends Irish danced with Parisians!
It’s only 9:30 pm and I’m comfortably back in my dorm room ready to relax and go to bed while the rest of town rocks and rolls all night long I presume!

1 comment:

  1. Astounding Day! Reception--wow! Christians in the community where you are going! Amazing! Lessons in sheep. Insightful! Thanks for sharing! Eager for pictures!

    ReplyDelete