Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Blenheim

May 31, 2011
Blenheim has been a bit of a disappointment.  Oh nothing to get worked up about. Although I came close to tears of frustration a few times here.  
We left Kaikura for Blenheim on Monday.  On our way we stopped at a waterfall where baby seals come to play in the pools and river.  Our Stray driver called it baby seal kindergarten.  Their mothers are out hunting so they come and play and fight with each other here.  It was incredible to see them so close and personal and in their natural environment.  There were so many of them!  I’ve never seen so many seals, let alone babies!
Our drive into Blenheim was gorgeous.  Mountains and the sea and the sun in the blue sky.  When I got here I went to the I-site for help in finding accommodation.  In about half an hour I was at my hostel.  
It’s a nice place in an odd setting.  It’s a large house in an industrial area.  It has a great kitchen and for the first time I’ve felt like cooking so I made some paninis.  Several of the people staying here are working in the vineyards so it kind of has a homey feel to it.
After checking in I went to search out the town.  Blenheim feels a lot like the agricultural towns of California.  It’s very flat and big semis are driving through all the time taking goods from one place to another.  Around Blenheim are some golden hills which give even more of a California feel to the town.  Plus, even though it’s pretty cold and winter time, it’s still sunny.  
I wanted to walk up into the golden hills on some special walks, but I got confused by the map and went the wrong way.  This was the first part of my frustrations!  I still enjoyed my walk, but I really wanted a good view of the area and I would have gotten one if I had made it to the top of the hill!
Today I rented a bike from the hostel and set out to conquer the wine trail of Marlborough, the name of this larger region.  I didn’t realize how far I would have to bike to get to wine country.  I was pooped by the time I got there.  Partly due to a head wind, partly due to not having my bike seat at the proper height, and as much as I hate to admit it, partly due to being out of shape!
Eventually I made it to a nice winery where I had a delicious lunch by their large, open fire.  I had a Waldorf salad with the most lovely pears and rocket cheese.  I also had a marvelous cheese souffle.  I biked through the vineyards some more.  I felt better after lunch and I also grabbed an ice cream cone and took a little snooze at one of the wineries.  Eventually I got tired of taking vineyard photos and decided to check out the chocolate factory.  I had free chocolate tastings, but the prices were too high to buy any chocolate.  
By this time, my butt hurt.  My wrists ached, and my legs were just plain tired.  It was still early, but I turned my bike toward home.  I even got off the bike for a bit because it was just plain easier and more comfortable to walk than bike. 
Let me tell you one of the scariest things I did today was ride my bike through several roundabouts.  In Blenheim its against the law to ride your bike on the footpath or sidewalk.  So I had to take those roundabouts head on just like I was in a car.  The town doesn’t have any traffic lights so there are a lot of complicated roundabouts. And don't forget they drive on the other side of the street here! But I succeeded and made it back to the hostel in one piece!
Tomorrow I head to Picton.  It’s only a quick 30 minutes from Blenheim but I’m hoping I enjoy it more!

No comments:

Post a Comment