Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Staying Kiwi

May 17, 2011
How I’m going to stay Kiwi in the US.
I’m not technically a Kiwi, but I’ve been living with a few of them for a few months now.  And I only have a couple of weeks left here in New Zealand and I’m beginning to think about my life after this adventure.  One thing I know for sure is that I want to take the attitude and the good qualities of New Zealanders back home with me.  
Most of all I admire how New Zealanders just go with the flow.  They often stay cool in situations where I would panic.  And they don’t play the rat race, which I appreciate incredibly.  It isn’t that they don’t want to do their jobs well or be successful, but they seem to appreciate that there is more to life than a career.  I’m sick of trying to measure up to the standards of my American culture and working in New Zealand has been a breath of fresh air.  So when I go home my main goal is to not try and play in the rat race either.
This ties in with the other qualities I appreciate about New Zealanders which is their love of life and food!  New Zealanders love food.  They love food and wine and coffee!  I have so many recipes and food that I want to bring home and enjoy regularly.  Anzac and afghan cookies and savory muffins/scones are on the top of my list.  
I want to cherish the outdoors like Kiwis do.  I want to appreciate getting out and enjoying nature.  I also want to remember to be adventurous and do some things that might scare me a little bit.  That adventurous spirit of New Zealand is going to come home with me to the US.
When I go back to the US my priorities are going to be different.  No more trying to be better than my peers.  My career is not going to be my focus and priority in life.  Work will not be the end all be all of my life.  I want to appreciate my food more, my life more, my family more, and my time more!  Help me stay true to these goals and priorities!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Annemarie,

    Seems like you have learnt a lot during your time here in NZ and it's great you are going home with a fresh outlook on life!

    Remember, stay cool! :)

    Stray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! am from Netherlands and lived in NZ (mainly Dunedin) for 10 months; came back home last week. It's so true what u describe. I was (am) also planning to stick to the kiwi way of living but it is hard already...people around me over here are not used to it and have such a different lifestyle. Also the outdoor (water) activities which I enjoyed so much while I was down under are not that common back home making it hard to do that kind of stuff...good thing is the first potluck since am back home is planned for tonights tea (Y) :D Enjoy NZ and make sure to stay kiwi in the US :D Cheers Peter

    ReplyDelete