Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2011

If I hadn't come to New Zealand . . .

February 11, 2011
I spotted an article today about how thinking about what your life would be like if you hadn’t met your spouse makes you happier than thinking about how you met your spouse.  The thought of how awful/different your life could have been without your spouse makes you happier than the thought of how you met your spouse.  
Does that make sense?  Let’s do an example.  I don’t have a spouse, but I have an adventure so I will try to show you using my adventure.
If I hadn’t come to New Zealand what would my life look like right now?  I almost gave up on coming to New Zealand.  Around July/August of 2010 I was seriously thinking of not going to New Zealand.  I didn’t want to leave my family or friends or home that I loved.
But if I had stayed what would my life be like?  I would probably still be working at the Residence Inn Lake Union.  Which isn’t so bad, but it wasn’t my best job.  I didn’t always feel comfortable there and I often felt like the weakest link.  I’d still be at home with my parents.  Which also wouldn’t be too bad, but I know I would feel bad about myself because of it.  I love my parents.  I love living with my parents.  But I often felt guilty about it.  I felt like I was a grown up and I shouldn’t be living with my parents.  
Basically my life would be exactly the same as it had been for the last two years.  And I would feel trapped in a way.  I’d be living off dreams of traveling.  I would dream, hope, and plan pretend trips to get myself through the sameness of every day.  
I’m really glad I’m here in New Zealand.  If I hadn’t come I would have missed out on the God-appointed meeting between my Christchurch friends and myself.  I would have missed out on the opportunity to learn to trust God in a way I never had before.  I would have missed getting to meet the wonderful Short family in Nelson.  I wouldn’t have the great friends I have now in Fox Glacier.  I never would have gotten to take my first helicopter trip (for free) over a glacier and rainforest.  I wouldn’t be living the courageous life I’m living now.  
Most of all I’m grateful to be living that courageous life.  That’s the biggest difference between my past life and this life.  I’m living on the edge, trusting God, and learning how to go with the flow.  
I guess this experiment really has worked.  I feel very happy!  

1 comment:

  1. You go girl. Being stuck in a rut never did appeal to me. GO.

    ReplyDelete