Pages

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Bad Night

December 22, 2010
I just need to decompress.  Tonight at work was horrible.  I could see all my faults and mistakes.  I suck at waiting tables and I can’t do anything on my own.  I have to have someone tell me what to do or point out the obvious to me. Why am I like this?  Why can’t I figure things out on my own?  Why do I have to ask for help?
The power went out in Fox Glacier today.  I saw hail.  It was a wild night.  We had to turn the generator on for the hotel.  Then it turned off. I had to call my boss so many times tonight and bug him about stupid stuff.  I just feel useless.  Why did he even hire me when he ends up having to do everything anyway?
We were really full at the hotel tonight.  We had a large group of bike riders.  I met one couple from Seattle and I even heard people talking about the Seattle to Portland bike ride in the dining room!  Needless to say all these people were quite demanding.  I haven’t had to deal with demanding guests in a long time.  It brought back memories of the Residence Inn!  The Americans in the group were definitely the worst.
Our restaurant is so small and we only have so many people to man it.  For this reason we can’t seat everyone at exactly the time they want to be seated.  And almost everyone wanted to eat with us tonight.  With the power out there were only two restaurants in town open.  Trust me, those restuarants were very busy. Almost all of our hotel guests ate at our restaurant and we had one walk-in table that weren’t even staying at the hotel!
It was just nuts. Cookie was throwing things in the kitchen.  I felt stupid.  We had to call Caroline in to help even though she wasn’t scheduled to work.  It was just a horrible, horrible night.  And this was the first day of work for me in a string of nine days in a row!
The best part of the night was coming home and being cheered up by Jessica.  You know you’ve made a good friend when something like this happens and your friend says everything she can to make you feel better.  She made me laugh and just calm down.  There’s nothing quite like a friend who will do that for you.

3 comments:

  1. A bad day is one bad day. Frustration happens when attempting to serve in a restaurant setting. And I think venting a little steam will help you appreciate your good days. I sympathize with your "I just feel useless" line. Customers/guests can be quite demanding, and they do not care if you are having a bad day, or if all of your energy is done and you are running on fumes, your legs are sore, your mind is gone, and there is nothing you can do to make the situation better. All of this to say--stay with it in "paradise" and learn all you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement! I'm back at it today so I need every kind word I can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh--Annemarie! Encouraging note from Jonathan! Blame it on the hail--it frustrated the bikers cuz they couldn't be on their bikes! Today is a new day!

    ReplyDelete