Pages

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Holidays

The last few days have been crazy.  Work, work, work.  I'm really getting into the working part of my working holiday visa.  Christmas day was busy and since then it's just been go, go, go.

Christmas day we had a fancy Christmas buffet in the hotel restaurant.  Afterward all the staff sat down to enjoy a Christmas meal together.  Can I be honest and say all I was interested in was dessert?  I did eat my veggies though.  We gave each other our Secret Santa gifts.  I got a New Zealand address book.  Then we all cleaned up and went home.  It was nice, but I think I'm ready for a traditional Christmas.  I haven't had a traditional Christmas with the family in so long and I miss it.  I want to eat my Great Grandma's cheese rolls and see all the extended family and open Christmas presents on Christmas Eve!

The hotel has been either fully booked or near to it the last few days.  We were supposed to have another employee come just before the holidays but she didn't show up.  So we are all pitching in wherever help is needed.  I've been learning how to do housekeeping.  I'm getting up into the rooms a lot and just doing the little stuff for now.

I feel like I've never worked so hard or so much.  I'm buggered as they say here.  (I'm tired.)  It doesn't help that the weather hasn't been too good either.  Rain.  Wind.  Even hail.  The roads have been close and flooded in a lot of places.  This afternoon the sun came out a little bit and this evening has been quite nice actually.  I just want a sunny day for my birthday!  I was so looking forward to being in a warm place in the middle of summer on my birthday.  We'll see if that happens or if we get a typical Seattle winter day (clouds, rain).

On Monday my roommate Jessica made me birthday muffins and my friends sang happy birthday to me. That was very sweet and nice.  It made me special.  Everyday Jessica wishes me happy birthday and then Maureen feels bad because she thinks she's missed my birthday.  Then I have to explain that my birthday is still days away!

I think that will bring you up to date on things here in Fox Glacier.  I hope you're having a fabulous holiday season!

1 comment:

  1. Okay here's the good news. We volunteered to do big family Christmas in 2011 because Laurel is getting married on December 29. That means no one else will have time for big family Christmas. We are on kiddo! We will commision Janet to do great grandmother Phipps cheese rolls because hers are superb! So no travel for you next December. With your experience you are in charge. Learn everything you can from Cookie.

    ReplyDelete