Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Settling Down

December 2, 2010
Today I started my job. It has been about a month almost to the day that I finished my job in Seattle.  I’ve really enjoyed traveling for such an extended period of time, but it is also great to be settled down.  I kind of felt strange going back to work as I prepared this morning.  It just felt weird and I found myself wishing that my time was my own.
But I didn’t need to worry about my time so much because I only worked for three hours in the morning and then another two or so in the evening.  The computer system they use here at Te Weheka Inn is quite different from what we used in Seattle.  It makes the Marriott system and the St. James Place system seem old and decrepit.  But it being so different also means that I have that much more to learn.  I think I can do it.  It’s just always awkward when you start a new job and have to figure everything out.  I don’t know how so many things work and I hate that.  You’d think I’d get used to it since I’ve had so many jobs!
Chris, my boss, says that Te Weheka Inn is the nicest and best accommodation in Fox Glacier.  This makes me feel really good that I’m working at a top notch place.  
In the middle of the day I read some of a book and ate a very unhealthy (but delicious) lunch.  I was so cold!  This morning was cold with low lying clouds so I couldn’t see the mountains very much.  It was depressing after such a beautiful day we had yesterday.  I even warmed up some hot water just to stay warm. 
I decided to take a nap and curled up in my bed which was wonderfully warm.  Eventually the sun came out and warmed up my room.  Ah, it was lovely.  I’ve always loved to sleep warm and it was really, really warm.  When I woke up I was shocked to see the clouds were pretty well dispersed and the sun was shinning.  
Unfortunately I had to go back to work and learn about the evening shift. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  I started off with a cup of tea!  The hotel holds a reception with a free glass of wine for guests and I joined Chris in this.  It’s just a time to meet the guests, encourage them to eat in our restaurant, and tell them about the area.  I met a couple from New Jersey and the wife had lived in a small town in Washington state when she was a young girl. This was great!
After the reception I had dinner from our kitchen.  The chef here really goes by Cookie!  Cool, huh?  My dinner was great and then Chris taught me a little bit more on the computer and I went home.  Easy enough!
I took an evening walk.  It wasn’t as warm as last night, but just as beautiful!  I walked out toward Lake Matheson through the valley and the farms.  The views of the mountains out there is tremendous and in the setting sun there just isn’t anything like it!  I took my camera and I took a lot of pictures.  You just can’t help yourself.  Everything here is so poetic and photogenic!
I love this little house I’m staying in, especially my room and the dining area.  My room has two windows that overlook the valley and the mountains beyond.  I can watch the sunset from my room!  It’s just gorgeous.  A room with a view.  The dining area is lovely because it has three large windows in the corner of the room.  I’ve always loved corner windows.  It looks out to the street and the rainforest beyond.  I can sit there and eat and watch the occasional car or pedestrian go by. Or I can just sit and listen to the birds or the meowing cat or barking dog.  It is really nice.  I think I’m really going to like staying here in this house in Fox Glacier.

1 comment: