Pages

Saturday, December 18, 2010

The treacherous beasts of New Zealand

December 18, 2010
If there is one thing I wish I had been warned about before deciding to come to New Zealand, that one thing would be sandflies. Often when comparing and contrasting Australia and New Zealand people bring up the fact that Australia has so many treacherous animals.  Australia has crocodiles and spiders that can kill you!  New Zealand, it’s always pointed out, has none of these dangerous animals.  There are also no bears, no cougars, and no crocodiles.  But there are sandflies
When I met my future roommates and co-workers they all warned me about sandflies.  They told me to buy some bug spray and ointment when I went to Nelson.  I just laughed at them.  Jessica pointed out all her bites on her feet and legs.  I felt sorry for her, but felt no danger.  I rarely get bitten by bugs.  I get one mosquito bite a summer and that’s about it.  They might all get bitten by sandflies, but I would not!
Needless to say I did not buy bug spray or ointment when I was in Nelson.  I went around believing I was immune to sandflies.  I came back to Fox quite prepared to be spared any sandfly bites.
Apparently I’m as immune to sandflies as I am to the common cold!  My first bite woke me up one morning about a week after I arrived.  I awoke scratching my ankle.  In a half sleep, half awake state I asked myself why I was scratching my ankle.  This happened several times until I dreamed about my roommates telling me about sandfly bites.  I awoke and realized that’s why I was scratching.  I had a bite!  So I made a strong effort to stop scratching.  But then my ankle felt like it was on fire and burning!  I was trying to fall back asleep again and I remembered what Auntie Bunty said about sandfly bites.  (Auntie Bunty was the dear friend of Penny in Nelson.)  Auntie Bunty said to put deodorant on sandfly bites.  Instead of actually getting out of bed to grab some deodorant, I half dreamed, half imagined I was wiping my ankle with deodorant.  Before I knew it my ankle was no longer burning and I was back to sleep!
When I finally woke up for real I also discovered I had a bite on my left hand.  These sandfly bites are red dots like a blister or zit.  The one on my hand was red and there was swelling all around it.
Every bite I’ve had so far has swollen up.  I have a bite on my arm and two on my legs.  Not only are sandfly bites itchy and red, but the swelling just makes your body look deformed and diseased!  I have a pretty strong self will and I don’t scratch my bites very  often so they heal a bit quicker, but the swelling and redness is disgusting!
My one consolation is that EVERYONE gets bit by sandflies.  No one is immune to sandfly bites.  Even I have been bitten!  I who never gets bitten!  So all of us, even the tourists, go around with red swollen blotches all over our bodies!  Fox isn’t the only place with sandflies.  They are a problem all over New Zealand!  Was I not warned about these treacherous insects before my arrival?  Or was I just assuming I was immune to them and blocked them out of my memory?
I have dutifully swallowed my pride and learned to deal with sandflies.  I’m following Auntie Bunty’s advice and applying deodorant.  It helps a small bit with the itching.  For the most part I am just exercising restraint when it comes to scratching.  I’m hoping all my bites heal well.  I may have to just break down and buy some bug spray though!  Here’s to swallowing my pride and learning to live like everyone else!

1 comment: