Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

An uneventful day turns eventful

December 6, 2010
I worked this morning until 1 PM and then I came home for lunch.  I was working on ordering some food for delivery while I sat at the kitchen table.  I got up to look at something in my bathroom.  As I was walking through the kitchen I suddenly saw that there was water all over the floor of the laundry and some on the kitchen floor.  I panicked!  I had never seen anything like this before and I had no idea what to do.  I just moved into this place last week!  I didn’t know if there was a mop or any extra towels to clean up the mess.
I went to my roommates’ doors to see if they were home and could help me, but it was just me.  I decided to go to the hotel and ask to borrow a mop.  I ran into Chris right away and he helped me find a mop.
Caroline said that probably the drain in the sink next to the washer had become clogged and then the water just overflowed since the washer drains into the sink.  Well, that’s exactly what happened.  I started to clean things up and then Josh came home and helped me.  When I started cleaning part of me was thinking, “Well at least this gives me something to do with my day!”
This really is the kind of place where you wish you had some other interest or talent like sewing or knitting or drawing or musical talent.  No wonder Elizabeth Bennett walked so much!  That’s what I did this afternoon.  I took a walk.  
I walked out to Lake Matheson in the rain.  The rain didn’t worry me too much.  I’m a tough Seattle girl.  I can handle it.  In fact the first part was wonderful, but I soon found out what a city girl I am!  
Just after I took the turnoff of Cook Flat Road to Lake Matheson I passed some cows.  Now these weren’t the first cows I’ve ever passed in my life, but these ones kind of freaked me out.  I don’t think cows here are used to people.  I was about half way past them when they just started running my way.  I could hear them!  Their heavy feet pounded the ground in my direction.  My heart started pounding too.  I was sure they were going to somehow plow through their fence and stampede me.  Well, I started picking up the pace a bit and praying under my breath.  Next thing I know I hear some sort of squawk from a bird and the cows start running the other way.  
Needless to say I was not eager to walk past the cows again, but if I ever wanted to get home I’d have to.  Fortunately on the way back a car passed the cows almost at the same time I did so there was no stampede.  I have to say I like sheep better.  If they notice me they run the other way!
On my walk I passed several of the B & Bs and hotels.  There are a lot in this town!  I’ve walked this way a few times already and I always notice the hotel that advertises the alpine views from every room.  I have often looked around and gone, “Well, duh!”  Everywhere you look there are mountains!  You could stay in any place here in Fox and have a view of the mountains.  Well, that is until today.
Today we have been covered in a thick fog-mist since about 9 AM.  There are no views of the mountains anywhere.  So I chuckled to myself again over the “alpine views from every room” sign only for a different reason.  Then I noticed the hotel next door that is perhaps more aptly named “Misty Peaks”.  Today I kind of feel like Misty Peaks Motel is more honest about what they offer!
Well, this is about as eventful as my day got!  We’ll see what tomorrow is like.  I can tell you I won’t be going near any cows any time soon!

2 comments:

  1. Love the part about Elizabeth Bennet and the Cows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard on the New Zealand radio today that cows have just become more populous than humans in New Zealand and that sheep outnumber cows! Crazy place! See I really do need to watch out for myself. I'm outnumbered!

    ReplyDelete