Pages

Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 1, 2010
I came back to Fox Glacier today.  I slept a good deal on the bus.  I just couldn’t keep my eyes open.  The driver kept trying to point out interesting things to me like the trees with the fungus or where a landslide had occurred.  But I just kept sleeping and waking up.  I probably needed it.  
My stay with the Short family was tremendously wonderful.  I love them all so much.  Penny and Marc are amazing parents who truly care about their children.  Jeremy, Sophie, and Alice welcomed me into their home like true friends.  I hope I can stay with them again before my journey here in New Zealand ends.
When I got to Fox, much to my surprise, it was warm.  So warm that I had to change out of my jeans almost right away into my shorts.  I went for a jog/walk and reveled in the mountains, the clear blue sky, the snow on the mountain tops, and the sunshine.  I’ve never spent a December 1st quite like this one!  I fell in love with this place today.  It is just what I’m looking for.  There are mountains in almost a 360 view.  The only place there aren’t mountains spreads out to where the Tasman Sea is.  You can’t see the Tasman from here, but it is only 22 kilometers away.
The sunset tonight was beautiful.  The sun goes down very late.  So even now at 9:45 PM I can still see the pink tint out my window.  My bedroom window looks out on a beautiful view toward the mountains and the sunset.  I’m truly blessed.
Every now and then I just think to myself “I’m in New Zealand!”  I’m still not over the idea, and I find myself wanting to shout out, “I’m in New Zealand!”  If I had just gone with this fancy I would have been yelling out on the bus ride today!  Somehow I hold myself back, but just barely.
This is what it is like to have a dream come true.  You just want to shout with joy and exuberance because something that you wanted so badly, but could only just barely believe could happen, has happened!  I’m not quite sure I’ve ever felt exactly like this.  It is a wonderful feeling though and I want to hold onto it the entire time I’m here.  I don’t want to take New Zealand and this opportunity for granted.  Dreams really do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment